Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Here we go.......

Hello out there in internet space.  This is my first official blog post.  A huge accomplishment for me.  I've never really blogged before, but this certainly seems like a great forum to start.  So, bare with me as I learn how to do this. 

Here we go...the intro...dum dum dum -

The purpose of this blog will be to give you creative ideas on gift giving, etiquette on gift giving, monogramming, invitations, etc., and what ever else happens to come up.  We are always researching new products and updating our existing products, so this forum will also be used to keep you up to date on what is available to you as a consumer. 

BUT - First and foremost - my name is Mary-Allyson Henson.  I own Mally's Cottage in Cashiers, NC - a small mountain community.  I purchased this business in August of 2009 on a spur of the moment decision and I'm past the freak out stage and onto the next stage of focusing and streamlining my merchandise and services.  Hadley's Cottage, the previous owner's name for the shop, became an immediate success in Cashiers.  Gay carried the cutest merchandise and she did in-house monogramming to personalize.  Considering that Cashiers, and nearby Highlands, have no other businesses that does that, the shop became the favorite place to go for all gift needs and to treat oneself to a fun item, of course. I was addicted to the shop long before I bought it.  (ask my husband, neices and nephews - all their gifts came from Hadley's Cottage) 

After months (or years one might say) of soul searching and trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up, the opportunity to buy this shop and make it my own livliehood was a God-send.  I have a degree in Industrial Chemistry, and have done NOTHING with it.  For 12 years I've worked as an independant contractor doing small business bookkeeping and payroll.  I was SICK of it (although I do still do that to make ends meet while I'm building up the business, of course)  SOooooo, long story short - here I am and I am excited to be bring all sorts of new inventory and services to Mally's Cottage.

In later post I will give more detail, but just so we all know, in addition to gifts "for everyone on your list" (don't you love that cliche?) I also still do the monogramming and embroidery (my merchadise or bring your own in), I do screenpressing - small or large orders, uniforms, promotional products, awards, etc,  I have beautiful engraved sterling silver jewelry, engraved stone and shell jewelry, soaps and candles.  Vinyl cutouts for your car, cell phone, computer, what ever....  INVITATIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS for weddings, showers, parties, luncheons, etc. 
I try to use local artists and seamstresses whenever I can.  I believe that we have enormous talent in our community and I'm proud to showcase their work in Mally's Cottage.  It certainly makes for unique and special gifts.

To keep this post short and simple, that's all I'm going to say today.  I will try not to post long and cumbersome

No comments:

Post a Comment