Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 22, 2010

Yay - It's Friday! Let's talk about Thank You Notes!!!

Ok, ok - I am constantly getting harrassed by my girlfriends for my obession with prompt thank you cards written on personalized, or at least high-quality, stationary.  Not just from myself, but I require this from my children as well.

Maybe I'm from the old school, but it seems to me in this time of immediate gratification and communication there is something vintage and special about sitting down and writing a note to someone.  And what better time to do that than after someone else has taken time, thought, and money to do something nice for you or to give you somthing nice.  (Even if you know, cousin Sally regifted....at least she thought of you)

It really isn't rocket science to write a nice note.  Actually, if you follow a simple formula, it can make getting through LOTS of thank you notes easy and you'll be done in no time.

1) Greeting - Greet with pleasantries.  I actually believe it is nice to greet the giver by an informal greeting if it is a close friend or relative.  Do they have a nickname?  Use it...  Especially those friends that would be perfectly content if you sent them an email thank you....BUT, if this is a gift from Great Aunt Hilda on your husband's side of the family, or your boss' wife - PLEASE be more formal.
2) Start with a very simple "thank you so much for the (adjective) (gift).  It is very important to name the gift that has been given.  It makes the giver know that you know that they know that you know what they gave. :)
3) Make a reference about how you will use the gift..... (I am so excited to wear my new polk-a-dot sweater to my friend's birthday dinner...)  Try to be sincere, even if it's not exactly what you'll wear to your friend's birthday dinner.  Don't lie, of course, just try to be vague if you're not so excited about the gift you received.
4) Make reference to the occasion in which you received the gift, and reference to the future (It was so nice to see you at the reunion, I can't wait until the next time we meet)
5) Thank your giver again....(Again, thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and generosity)
6) Conclude - this is entirely up to the familiarity you have with you giver...(much love, best, sincerely, in appreciation........blah blah blah)

See....now do that a couple hundred times after your wedding and you'll feel like such a resonsible and well mannered adult.  Your Mom will be proud....

Of course, it always makes it more fun to write your notes on stationary or card stock that fits your personality.  That's why it's a good idea to go ahead and get personalized stationary for yourself, your household and for your children.  When my boys were born, I got them stationary as a birthday gift and I was able to use that stationary for all sorts of occasions: baby gifts, birthdays, Christmas, Easter, etc.  Now my twelve year old is tortured by writing thank you notes, but I know he'll grow up to be a true gentleman because of the torture.

No comments:

Post a Comment